Noisy Roof Panels

ramtwins25

Reaction score
I've seen elsewhere online discussions around the creaky/cracking/popping sound coming from the roof panels. Came across this : site Is this the best route to resolving this or is there some kind of dealer solution? Or, is it something you are expected to live with when you have this vehicle with removable panels?

I have same problem,..is this a dealer service issue ..or is there something we can do on our own to fix? Thanks so much

I have same problem,..is this a dealer service issue ..or is there something we can do on our own to fix? Thanks so much
Follow the link above. This fix requires shrink wrap on the pins. I'm trying it out this weekend.

I did the shrink wrap on the panel pins…and it made a huge improvement…90% better

My 2024 Hummer EV pickup had crazy squeaky roof panels. Everything about the truck was perfect, but the creaking and popping and squeaking was really noticeable and terribly annoying. It made it sound like the entire truck was falling part.

Good news!!! I was able to get rid of 100% of the noise! I simply added heat-shrink wraps to the sky panel connector pins. I only added them to the pins that have the fat bubble ends on them. Not the straight pins.

The entire process took only 15 minutes. My issue is now 100% resolved. The thin layer of padding on the pins completely stops all the noise.

I let my dealership know and they were shocked at the results. They're going to let their Hummer rep know and possibly inform all dealers about this very easy fix.

The truck is now so much more enjoyable.

Has anyone had this bulletin preformed at their local dealer?

The dealers I’ve talked to so far aren’t very familiar with it. used the shrink wrap method and it has helped. Just wondering if anyone has had this performed.

Attachments

• fix rattle in hummer service bulletin 2.pdf
    200.1 KB · Views: 43
Just did the shrink on the pins and it eliminated 95% of the rattles. Very happy!

My 2024 Hummer EV pickup had crazy squeaky roof panels. Everything about the truck was perfect, but the creaking and popping and squeaking was really noticeable and terribly annoying. It made it sound like the entire truck was falling part.

Good news!!! I was able to get rid of 100% of the noise! I simply added heat-shrink wraps to the sky panel connector pins. I only added them to the pins that have the fat bubble ends on them. Not the straight pins.

The entire process took only 15 minutes. My issue is now 100% resolved. The thin layer of padding on the pins completely stops all the noise.

I let my dealership know and they were shocked at the results. They're going to let their Hummer rep know and possibly inform all dealers about this very easy fix.

I'm glad I came across your post and you were able to get it resolved! This has been a major concern about getting one.

Hi thanks for your message on the forum regarding sunroof noise is it possible can you show some pictures of the shrink wrap connector pins if possible thanks

I assume you mean heat shrink that you would use for wires. Any photos of the job? How much of the pins have to be covered? The ball and the rest of the pin? I just picked up my Hummer today and the roof noise is horrendous.

A stop-sell order was recently issued to address the issue with a quick fix: installing 8 washers. It’s an easy solution, but at least now it’s being applied across the board instead of only to those who reported issues.

Sounds like all the 2025 models will have the fix as well.

I've seen elsewhere online discussions around the creaky/cracking/popping sound coming from the roof panels. Came across this : site Is this the best route to resolving this or is there some kind of dealer solution? Or, is it something you are expected to live with when you have this vehicle with removable panels?
Just got notice that GM had a new washer set they are going to start delivering to solve this issue. They have gotten ALOT of practice on mine for repairs since I bought it and had it for 15 days then it spent the next 3 months in the service department. 3 engineers even flew out for mine over that time frame. It’s been fun. Got it back yesterday finally

I just did the wire shrink wrap fix on my 2025. The roof noise was horrible. Now it is completely gone. Amazing how easy it is to fix. Not sure what the washers do but the shrink wrap is an amazing fix.

Last edited:
Hi, I just did the shrink wrap on my pins and used some GM PTFE lube. Problem solved, I already had the recall done with the washers, it took about 40% of the creaking away. This solved it 100%. I live in Texas, it sat out in the heat today and no noise. Honestly it's like a total different truck. Thanks for post!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 20240629_115056.jpg
    20240629_115056.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240629_115027.jpg
    20240629_115027.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
Did it leak from rain, hand washing it, automatic carwash, or what?
Rain storm. Could be leaking at the car wash too and I just haven’t noticed yet. The water collected in the plastic cover over the rear I-beam. When I drove it ran out. Pulled the cover off and there was about 1/2” of water in it.

I'm new to this forum. Can someone direct me to the shrink wrap procedure.? My panels are actually great so I'm not in a hurry to get the recall done. Thanks again

Back