Super Cruise: How’s It Working for You?

super8

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How’s everyone finding the Super Cruise feature? Do you use it often while driving? Any issues or negative experiences with it so far?

Check out this Super Cruiser review I found on Reddit. All credit for the post goes to UWishUWereMiah108

------------------------
super-cruise-for-44-miles-hummer-ev.jpeg

The autonomous driving feature was not something I was looking for in a vehicle, but since I have it in the Hummer I thought I’d give it a spin.
  1. I live in Phoenix and autonomous driving is legal and self driving Waymo’s have been driving and mapping our streets for years.
  2. I drove from my son’s school to his doctors appointment in a different part of town 44 miles away.
  3. It was typical Phoenix traffic, I had every density of traffic along the way from parked on the freeway, to moderate, to open roads. All freeway driving. I set it once I entered the freeway and took back over when it was time to exit.
  4. I set the desired speed to 75mph which it varied depending on traffic density.
  5. It had straight aways but in Scottsdale it curves back and forth and the freeway changes from north, to west, to south so I also went through curves and turns on the freeways.
Results:

A. It never disconnected or lost connection once I started it. Drove itself all 44 miles.

B. I could look out the window and watch the scenery or turn my head briefly to speak to my son and it didn’t interrupt the self driving.

C. I started using my phone to take a video and it sensed I was on my phone, probably because the phone was blocking the camera on my face and warned me to pay attention. Which I did.

D. There were parts where this is only a foot between the left line and the jersey barrier, the truck didn’t like it lol it couldn’t decide how close it wanted to be next to it. I hovered my hands over the steering wheel ready to take over but it adjusted and I relaxed again.

E. When traffic got bad it would slow and came to a complete stop several times but would always resume and speed up appropriately as traffic allowed.

F. It keeps quite a large gap between itself and the car in front of it, approximately 6 car lengths. This was fine for me, but a guy in a Tacoma was losing his mind for a couple minutes behind me. I just ignored him riding my bumper until he got an opportunity to pass. I was doing 10 over and he almost caused an accident cutting off an Altima in a fit of road rage. They started a road rage fight in front of me and the Hummer responded appropriately keeping its distance. Tacoma almost killed someone to move up and be stuck in traffic by 15 feet SMH.

G. When going slower the Hummer does reduce the number of car lengths between, down to as few as one and a half at a complete stop on the freeway.

H. It made the trip from Chandler, through Scottsdale, past North Phoenix and Arrowhead to Peoria and then I took control and exited.

I was surprised how perfect it was. The range wasn’t as good because it would accelerate regularly back up to speed when it had the room, while if I had control I’d be more strategic knowing when it would be a benefit to slow roll into the next stoppage. But this was minor. I’d ball park it at 15-20% less efficient than a driver actively driving conservatively.

A+++ Very cool feature. Not sure how often I’ll use it because I absolutely love driving and that’s the benefit of a Hummer EV, it’s a sports car in an off road tank, it’s so fun to drive. But it’s very cool to have! Maybe on a trip to California or Vegas while in conversation with passengers!
------------------------

Only issue I have is it disconnects occasionally and 5 sec later I try again and it's green. I never thought I'd let go of the wheel. Now - it's one of my favorite options. A little jerky at times when it slows down. But I'm guessing it'll only get better. My question is does it automatically update roads thru Onstar? I can't find a definitive answer. Thanks for that post. Very complete

That was a great review. I wish more would be like that. All good information, not a bunch of BS.

Back