How often to you charge to 100%?

super8

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How often to you charge to 100%? Does doing this have any impact on the warranty?

Last edited:
I don’t think it would affect warranty. The main reason to not consistently charge to 100% is all about maintaining maximum charge capacity long term.

If interested, this guy does a good job explaining why:

As for how much I do, I have not yet set the charge to 100%. I charge at home at night and typically set the charge to 80%, but have set it to charge to 95% twice. Basically if I think I’m going to need extra range for the next day I’ll set it to charge higher than 80%.

I will note that the two times I set it to charge to 95% it said I had 97% charge when I got into it.

I have a two year lease. I'm not sure 100% will hurt me in that time. Thoughts?
i charged my tesla S to 100% every day for 7 years... no noticeable degradation. Dont be scared if you need it. What isnt so great is constantly charging to 100% and then not using it. If you dont need 100% then dont set it that high. You should every few weeks actually charge it up to 100 and then run it down. i have read that is the best thing for the battery.

The concerning part is why someone leasing these vehicles wouldn’t charge to 100% every time. There is no incentive to protect battery life!

No, not if you don't plan on keeping it!
Will definitely not affect you in those 2 years. This "dont charge to 100" is overplayed... maybe over 10 years you would get 82% instead of 85% battery life at that point. If you were planning to keep it forever, maybe you would want to follow that... but in 2 years??? and you have warranty for 3 even if there was an issue that isnt affec ted by charging to 100 daily.

Back